Monday, February 2, 2015

The House for Lost Things - Part Twelve



Hey guys! This is part twelve of the House for Lost Things. We hope you enjoy it and would love to have your feedback. Please read it and pass it on!


IMPORTANT NOTE: Also, as this story draws to a close we are looking to you, the audience for more ideas for the next story. Please comment or email cherise.tess@gmail.com or nevermoreemergingflame@gmail.com with your ideas and feedback. Thanks!
#


Edward Brickell.


The name has been at the forefront of my mind for a long time. The Outside world has treated me well enough. Upon returning home, I have lived in our house with my brother. It is just the two of us now, these seven years later, but we live happily and comfortably.


Even in freedom, I’ve thought of Master often. Of how lonely he must be. I’ve wondered if someone else has been lost and taken my place in the Mansion, or if he is still alone. And then there are days like today, when I’ve thought of finding him.


I know where he is, though. I merely dread going to the place. Because inside, I know that there is no way for him to escape the Mansion. His eternity is somehow bound to the Mirror and the Mansion. Master...he belongs there.


I pull a white shawl close around me as I walk down the roadside toward the fields where I’ve often thought of going. I cross the road, rocks crunching under my feet as I approach the wooden fence separating this place from the rest of the town.


The gate is securely latched, but comes unfastened easily when I open the gate. I shut it behind me, lifting my skirt out of the way of the wood as it snatches for them. Then, I latch it behind me with a sigh.


Gathering my courage, I walk along through the fields, taking my time to pick some flowers from the spring’s fresh spray of color as I go. There are trees, large beautiful ones with green leaves that form coverings of shade over my as I walk.


And birds. Beautiful, lovely, majestic birds that Master loves, flying through the air and sitting among the tree branches. But no eagles. I have yet to see an eagle.


I stride through the tall grass with a meager handful of fresh flowers. When I reach the top of the hill, I stop. There is a tree among a small cluster some yards away. The breeze is ruffling its leaves and there are squirrels scampering among its branches. Master sits beneath it.


I smile sadly and approach.


Kneeling down before him, I place the flowers in the grass. I tuck my feet beneath my skirt and let my shawl slide down my shoulders some.


“Hello, Master,” I murmur softly.


I reach out a hand and run it over the cold, hard curve of the stone that marks the place where he was lost. His name is carved in it. The years of his birth and his death. And the message: “Beloved brother, friend, and soldier.”


A small sigh builds in my chest as I look down at him.


So this is why no one searched for him...they knew where he was.


I press my palm against the stone, rubbing my thumb along the letters of his name.

“I found you, Edward,” I whisper.

There are men who fought in the revolutionary war and the civil war. There are the people who died in the Wood River massacre - many unmarked graves of the slaughtered.  Whole families here too.


#

Well, guys. That's the end of this delightful story. If you have any thoughts or comments or ideas for future stories, please email us at nevermoreemergingflame@gmail.com. Thank you everyone for remaining faithful readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment